Friday, August 15, 2008

Last of the Weights




Ammon put his entry on a while ago but I thought I'd put a couple more pictures now that he is in bed for the first time since 9 a.m. this morning. The physical therapists put the last of the weights on Ammon today. They will not increase the amount any more. He has 20 pounds attached now.

As you can see from the photos, he is now having to lie at a very steep angle in order for the correct pressure to remain on his body. He is literally hanging. He loved having the freedom with his hands until they put 19 pounds on yesterday and then it wasn't so much fun anymore. He keeps saying his neck hurts so we will keep close watch on him through the weekend and then talk to the doctor on Monday if he is still uncomfortable. For the first time since he got to Shriner's, he got some Motrin to help take off the edge. He isn't as happy-go-lucky now as he has been in the past weeks. Part of that has to do with him wanting to go home (every other sentence) and the other part is that he is trying not to be too bored. He hasn't been very interested in much of anything today, including playing games with me.

He started talking about what he was going to do when he got home. He said the very first thing he was going to do when he got the halo off was hug his whole family!

I had a pretty lengthy conversation with one of the doctors here today and we talked a lot more about the upcoming surgery. It is lengthy and tough but they have done so many of these that hopefully it will go well. One thing we have to worry about is infection that sometimes occurs along the rods and it is especially risky when they have to untether the spinal cord, which is the plan right now. Today I feel worried - maybe I'm just tired like Ammon is. On days like today I have to remember to draw on the major source of peace where I can put this burden in His hands. I'm so grateful to know about the plan of salvation and that I know where I can turn to find that peace that I need so much right now.

I wish Ammon was still his little cheerful self. He is trying hard to smile today.

No comments: